Castle ruins Eppenstein
The Eppenstein castle ruin is located south of Judenburg on a high rock, directly above the village of Eppenstein (736 meters above sea level) on the road from Aichfeld to Obdacher Sattel, visible from afar.
The castle ruins are freely accessible.
The first local aristocratic family once lived on the castle ruins of Eppenstein. They came from Bavaria and founded a powerful noble family: the Eppensteiner. When the castle high above the Granitzental, after which it was named, was first mentioned in 1160, the Eppensteiners were already extinct. The red-white-red of their flag was raised by the Traungau and then the Babenberg - and Austria's national colors emerged from this.